Microsoft Outlook uses PST files to store emails, contacts and other data. If you use multiple email accounts or have archived old data in separate PST files, it can become difficult to manage multiple PST files. In this article, we’ll look at ways to merge multiple PST files in Outlook 2019, 2016 and other versions.
What are the Benefits of Merging PST Files?
Here are some reasons why you might want to merge your PST files.
- Merging PST files allows you to store all your data in one place, eliminating the need to search multiple folders for what you need.
- Merging PST files allows you to circumvent Outlook’s file size limitations.
- When you’re shifting to a new computer or consolidating email accounts, merging PST files makes the transition easier and helps you manage your emails more efficiently.
Merging PST files allows you to centralize your data and make it easier to access.
How to Merge Multiple PST Files
Let’s take a look at two methods for merging PST files.
Method 1: Using Outlook Options
If you have multiple PST files and want to combine their data, you can use Outlook’s Merge option. For this, create a new blank PST file, then import the data from the PST files you want to merge into that one.
Here are the complete steps:
- To import a file, select “Import” and click “Next.”
- When you choose “Personal Folder File (.pst)” and click Next, the wizard will continue with the creation of a new Outlook profile.
- Use “Browse” to select the PST files you want to merge.
- Select the folders to import and manage any duplicates.
To import all the files in a folder and its subfolders, tick the “Include subfolders” and “Import items into the same folder” checkboxes. Then click Finish.
Method 2: Use a Third-Party Tool to Merge PST Files
Steller Merge Mailbox for Outlook is a PST merge tool that makes it easy to combine several Outlook PST files into a single file. It allows you to selectively merge folders or emails and maintain the original organizational structure after merging. Here’s how to use it:
To get started with Stellar Merge Mailbox for Outlook, you’ll need to install it on your computer.
- To install Stellar Merge Mailbox for Outlook on your Windows system, download the tool from our website. After you have launched the program, follow these steps:
Step 2: Locate Your PST Files
- Click the Find PST button on the Home tab.
- In the search for PST files, select the appropriate disk.
- The software will then present all the PST files from the designated location, which you can then view or search.
Step 3: Add Your PST Files
- Now, drag and drop the PST files you want to merge into Outlook.
Step 4: Choose which merging option is appropriate for your document.
- Take a look at all of your options, and choose the one that’s best for you.
Step 5: Merge the files together
- To start the merging process, click the Start Merging button and wait for the tool to finish.
You can merge multiple PST files using a third-party tool, but before you do so, be sure to back up your data and keep the file size in mind (Outlook 2019 and 2016 allow up to 50 GB). You should also do your research before choosing a tool; Stellar Merge Mailbox for Outlook is one option that merges PST files effortlessly while preserving their structure.